Privacy of personal information is an important protocol at Animal Hospital of Cambridge. We will collect, use and disclose personal information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the services we provide. We also try to be open and transparent as to how we handle information. This document describes our privacy policies.
1) What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. It includes information that relates to your characteristics (e.g., gender; age; income; home address or phone number; ethnic background; family status), health (e.g., health history; health conditions; health services received), or activities and views (e.g., religion; politics; opinions expressed by an individual; an opinion or evaluation of an individual). Personal information is to be contrasted with business information (e.g., an individual's business address and telephone number), which is not protected by privacy legislation.
2) What Information is Protected?
Animal Hospital of Cambridge is responsible for protecting any of your personal information that it has in its possession. This includes all personal information collected for or submitted to a third party by your consent (e.g., laboratory samples, pet insurance).
Your pet(s) medical record can not be released to a second party or new owner without having been given verbal consent by you, the original owner listed in our computer data base. The exception to this would be if history is requested from the OSPCA or College of Veterinarians.
3) Collecting and Using Your Personal Information
We collect and use your personal information to:
- Verify your identity when calling in to the practice
- Comply with federal, provincial, and local law / by-law requirements (including the requirements of the College of Veterinarians of Ontario and the Veterinarians Act and regulations thereof)
- Billing for goods and services
- Collect unpaid accounts
- Send out health care reminders & newsletters
- Email address to send messages, newsletters, info on recalls/warnings, in-clinic promos
- Make referrals to veterinary laboratories or veterinary specialists/hospitals
- Verify information with grooming or boarding facilities, shelters, or microchip companies for lost pets
Your personal information may be collected, used, or disclosed for any of the above reasons listed. If your personal information is not required for one of these purposes, we will not use or disclose it without your prior consent.
4) Where Do We Gather Your Personal Information?
- From you when you become a client at our clinic
- From reporting agencies (i.e. local humane societies, public health authorities)
- From emails you send us requesting an address change or to be entered as a new client
- From Petly your personal pet page
5) Your Consent
We require your consent before we may collect, use, or disclose any of your personal information. We will release information under special circumstances, including police and/or cruelty investigations, grooming salon vaccination confirmations, or other situations permitted by law.
6) Consent to Use Photos
From time to time we may wish to snap a cute picture of your pet to put on our website or Facebook page. We will ask for your verbal consent before doing so.
7) How Do You Provide Us with Your Consent?
- Your written, verbal, or implied consent obtained during an appointment or phone call
- Your consent as provided by persons authorized by you to make decisions on your behalf
Animal Hospital of Cambridge will make every reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information collected is as accurate, complete, and as up-to-date as possible for the purposes for which the information is to be used. We will make an effort to confirm your current address when coming in for appointments. If any of your personal information changes, please contact us and we will be happy to update our records. You may phone us at 519-624-9760 or send us an email to: email@example.com.
9) Protection of information
Animal Hospital of Cambridge will safeguard and protect all personal information under its control by implementing appropriate security measures based on the sensitivity of information. A paper shredder is on site to dispose of documents containing personal information.
We will ensure that our employees keep all personal information confidential and comply with the security standards established by this veterinary facility.
We will require that third parties to whom personal information is disclosed have committed to an appropriate level of security in protection of your information.
On the disposal or destruction of personal information, Animal Hospital of Cambridge will take the necessary precautions to prevent third parties from accessing such information and to maintain the confidentiality of this personal information.
10) Access to Personal Information
Animal Hospital of Cambridge will allow owners open access to their pet’s medical file. Information will only be released to persons listed on the medical record unless we are otherwise instructed by the pet owner. We will place an alert on the pet's file should the owner wish to allow other persons, breeders, etc. access to the file.
Animal Hospital of Cambridge will maintain a record of all third parties to whom personal information has been disclosed (by referral, by codes, or notes in the file), and will make this record available to an individual whose personal information has been so disclosed.
11) Concerns Regarding this Compliance Policy
Anyone providing personal information to Animal Hospital of Cambridge may address any questions, concerns or complaints to the Hospital Manager. We will do our best to rectify any issues you may have.