With the support of our board-certified surgeon, we offer a range of orthopedic services. As your pets are more active, develop injuries, or age, they’ll have more skeletal issues. Our team is here to provide holistic care that ensures your pet isn’t experiencing any pain or discomfort caused by orthopedic issues.
What are common orthopedic issues for pets?
Depending on factors like your pet’s breed or activity level, they might be more prone to some of these skeletal issues. Some common ones we might see at our practice are:
- Hip dysplasia – a genetic disease where the hip joins (ball and socket) don’t fit properly and grind against each other
- Osteoarthritis – one of the most common conditions, causing inflammation in joints as well as pain and discomfort
- Cruciate ligament tears – torn knee ligament, often fixed through surgery
- Fractures – injuries common in joints like the shoulder, ankle and knee
What signs should I look out for?
Since some orthopedic conditions worsen overtime, it’s helpful to look out for any of the following signs so we can develop a treatment plan to support your pet as early as possible:
- Unusual stance
- Loss of appetite
- Joint swelling
- Reluctance to move around
How can orthopedic conditions be treated?
Depending on your pet’s condition, we might suggest anti-inflammatory medication or surgery. Orthopedic surgery is one of the most effective ways to ensure an internal joint or bone issue is corrected. With the help of rehabilitation as well as your love and care during the recovery process, your pet will be able to live a higher quality of life despite their condition. Our veterinary team has a board-certified surgeon who is well-equipped to deal with a full range of orthopedic conditions. If you’d like to discuss if your furry family member might be a good candidate for surgery, please contact us at 519-624-9760.